Summary of course
This webinar focuses on the influence of early birth and medical comorbidities on Homeostasis, and the influence of Homeostasis on learning and feeding outcomes. Homeostasis is the foundation for all development and influences the ability and desire to eat. The first challenge for a baby after birth is to establish internal regulation. Brain development requires both a certain level of core stability and repeated experiences. This webinar discusses the theories of dynamic systems and learning. These concepts provide the professional caregiver with an understanding of the importance of stability and the influence of experiences on both short- and long-term feeding outcomes.
Presented by: Dr. Erin Ross: Internationally recognized Infant Feeding Specialist, Speech Pathologist, and creator of SOFFI®, Supporting Oral Feeding in Fragile Infants in the NICU and presenter for Toomey & Associates, Inc.
Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Registered Dietitians, Special Education Teachers, Psychologists, Physical Therapists, Early Intervention Specialists, Nurses, Physicians, and Mental Health Workers. Note: Training conferences are available for professionals only.
This course is an intermediate level course: Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter. Prerequisite – Attendees must have completed the first 11 webinars in the 2-day SOFFI® series (SOFFI® Modules 1-11).
- Describe at least one effect of long-term naso-gastric (NG) tube use on feeding development
- List at least one factor that impacts how tube feeding affects the development of normal eating and drinking skills
- Standards, competencies, and best practices for infant and family centered developmental care in the ICU: 0-4:19
- Pros and cons of NG and G-Tubes: 4:20-16:03
- Goals for Tube Feedings: 16:03-17:00
- Influence of Rate, Delivery Method, and Volume: 17:00-23:10
- Supportive interventions during tube feedings: 23:10-31:08
- Enteral vs Gravity feedings in the NICU and at Home: 31:08-33-:55
- Combining pump and oral feedings: 33:55-40:30Total Run time: 40:30 minutes
** To ensure Learners successfully achieve the Learning Outcomes above and to satisfy the completion requirements and continuing education credits, all attendees are expected to view the online workshop in the entirety. Additionally, all attendees are required to complete an 8-question quiz and receive 100% to be considered passing. Please take the quiz immediately after completing the webinar to make sure you mastered the content. The quiz may be taken as many times as necessary. Attendees must also complete a course evaluation to receive their certificate of completion.
Toomey & Associates, Inc. and SOFFI®, complies with ADA provisions. If you require special accommodations or need assistance, please contact Gina Gass at least two weeks in advance of the conference at [email protected]
The course content is focused on the SOFFI® Method and there will be limited or no information provided about similar products or services.