SOFFI® Training Package
Sign up for SOFFI® training provided online. Enjoy the cost savings of not having to travel! The same information is provided that you would get in a 2-day SOFFI® Course or by buying the series of 12 of our online courses (the first 12 listed here, marked by the numbers 1-12 and the asterisk ***). Total Time: 13 hours
SOFFI® is an integrated approach to supporting oral feeding in preterm and in medically complex infants, both in the NICU and in the Early Intervention setting. The primary approach offered online is the same as the 2-day in-person course and provides the practitioner with evidence-based information regarding feeding development as well as assessment and intervention strategies. A free one-hour question and answer period is offered 4 times per year. After you complete the 12 webinars that are part of the course, and pass the quizzes, you will receive a certificate of attendance. PLEASE TAKE THE QUIZ AFTER EACH OF THE 12 MODULES TO MAKE SURE YOU MASTER THE MATERIAL.
Price for package = $369. Price if purchased individually = $495.
SOFFI® is an integrated approach to supporting oral feeding in preterm and in medically complex infants, both in the NICU and in the Early Intervention setting. The primary approach is offered online the same as the 2-day in-person course and provides the practitioner with evidence-based information regarding feeding development as well as assessment and intervention strategies.
- Identify necessary components of infant development that indicate a readiness to begin and sustain oral feeding
- Discuss the development of oral-motor skills
- Describe the interaction between medical and developmental level as they relate to feeding readiness and progression
- Identify infants who are not progressing in feeding skill development
- Use principles of normal development and developmentally supportive care to facilitate feeding progression, to include contributions of the family
- Identify the influence of various medical conditions on oral feeding success
- Use the BROSS approach to identify feeding patterns and use the SOFFI® Algorithms to guide feeding decisions & to plan supportive intervention strategies
- Supporting Parents and Infants During Early Feedings in the Intensive Care Unit and at Home & Review/Quiz (59 minutes)
- Homeostasis as the Foundation for Feeding & Review/Quiz (33 minutes)
- Development of Internal Regulation and Feeding & Review/Quiz: (22 minutes)
- Development of the Oral Motor System, & Review/Quiz: (79 minutes)
- Development of Feeding Across the First Year, & Review/Quiz (29 minutes)
- Medical Issues that Impact Oral Feeding Skills & Review/Quiz: (92 minutes)
- Understanding the Language of the Newborn, Review/Quiz: (36 minutes)
- The BROSS Approach, Review/Quiz: (27 minutes)
- Evidence Base for SOFFI®, Review/Quiz: (23 minutes)
- Interventions to Support Internal Regulation Using SOFFI® (91 minutes)
- Interventions to Support Homeostasis During Oral Feedings Using SOFFI (249 minutes)
- Supplemental Tube Feeding Considerations (45 minutes)
Total Run Time: 785 minutes, 13 contact hours, 1.3 ASHA CEU’s
** To ensure Learners successfully achieve the Learning Outcomes above and to satisfy the completion requirements and continuing education credits, all attendees are expected to view the online workshop in the entirety. Additionally, all attendees are required to complete an 8-question quiz for each module (receiving a passing score of 100%-may be taken repeatedly, once every 24 hours, until a passing score is achieved) and complete a course evaluation to receive their certificate of completion.
Presented by: Dr. Erin Ross: Internationally recognized Infant Feeding Specialist, Speech Pathologist, and creator of SOFFI®, Supporting Oral Feeding in Fragile Infants in the NICU and presenter for Toomey & Associates, Inc.
Intended Audience: Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Registered Dietitians, Special Education Teachers, Psychologists, Physical Therapists, Early Intervention Specialists, Nurses, Physicians, and Mental Health Workers. Note: Training conferences are available for professionals only.
Course Level: This course is an intermediate level course: Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter. Prerequisite – None
Content Disclosure: The course content is focused on the SOFFI® Method and there will be limited or no information provided about similar products or services.
Speaker Disclosures: Dr. Erin Ross is a consultant for Nestec Ltd and Intertek, and is a paid speaker for Toomey and Associates. She owns intellectual property as the principal owner of Feeding Fundamentals, LLC., and created and receives a salary as compensation for SOFFI®. Dr. Ross is also the Chair of the Advocacy Pillar of Feeding Matters, which is a voluntary position.