Summary of course
There are many interventions that can improve a baby’s ability to rise to the challenge of oral feeding. This webinar focuses on evidence-based interventions that support infant regulation. It teaches professional caregivers how to help families prepare their infant, even in the first days after birth. The webinar focuses the caregiver on the first 5 steps in the SOFFI® Algorithms.
Presented by: Dr. Erin Ross: Internationally recognized Infant Feeding Specialist, Speech Pathologist, and creator of SOFFI®, Supporting Oral Feeding in Fragile Infants in the NICU and presenter for Toomey & Associates, Inc.
Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Registered Dietitians, Special Education Teachers, Psychologists, Physical Therapists, Early Intervention Specialists, Nurses, Physicians, and Mental Health Workers. Note: Training conferences are available for professionals only.
This course is an intermediate level course: Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter. Prerequisite – Attendees must have completed the first 9 webinars in the 2-day SOFFI® series (SOFFI® Modules 1-9).
- Discuss what the “just right challenge” is related to feeding the premature and/or medically complex infant
- List what the feeder should do when homeostasis is lost
- List at least 2 benefits of Kangaroo Mother Care on the mother, the parent-infant relationship
- List at least 2 benefits of Kangaroo Mother Care for the infant
- List at least one core idea of the room environment for an attuned feeding
- Describe the optimal feeding schedule for newborn term infants based upon newborn infant stomach volume studies
- Describe at least one benefit of using colostrum for oral care
- Describe at least one benefit of positive oral experiences
- Part 1 – Awareness and Responsiveness using SOFFI®: 0:00 – 16:42
- Part 2 – Supporting Parental Involvement – Parent Education: 16:43 – 23:00
- Part 2 – Supporting Parental Involvement – Kangaroo Mother Care and Human Milk: 23:00 – 30:50
- Part 3 – Supporting Infant Regulation – Environmental Influences: 30:50 – 38:55
- Part 3 – Supporting Infant Regulation – State Regulation and Feeding Intervals: 38:55 – 48:40
- Part 3 – Supporting Infant Regulation – Massage, Handling, Video Practice: 48:40 – 58:20
- Part 4 – Infant-led positive oral experiences – Non-nutritive sucking, smells: 58:20 – 68:40
- Part 4 – Infant-led positive oral experiences – Pacifiers: 68:40 – 78:00
- Part 4 – Infant-led positive oral experiences – Support for infants who are not orally fed: 78:00 – 86:10
Total Run time: 86:10 minutes
** To ensure Learners successfully achieve the Learning Outcomes above and to satisfy the completion requirements and continuing education credits, all attendees are expected to view the online workshop in the entirety. Additionally, all attendees are required to complete an 8-question quiz and receive 100% to be considered passing. Please take the quiz immediately after completing the webinar to make sure you mastered the content. The quiz may be taken as many times as necessary. Attendees must also complete a course evaluation to receive their certificate of completion.
Toomey & Associates, Inc. and SOFFI®, complies with ADA provisions. If you require special accommodations or need assistance, please contact Gina Gass at least two weeks in advance of the conference at [email protected]
The course content is focused on the SOFFI® Method and there will be limited or no information provided about similar products or services.