Summary of course
This webinar uses the SOFFITM Algorithms to provide a pathway to support infants during oral feedings. Evidence-based interventions to support oral feedings are provided in this webinar. Interventions include creating feeding plans, flow rate considerations, positioning, pacing, thickeners, and breast-feeding interventions.
Presented by: Dr. Erin Ross: Internationally recognized Infant Feeding Specialist, Speech Pathologist, and creator of SOFFI®, Supporting Oral Feeding in Fragile Infants in the NICU and presenter for Toomey & Associates, Inc.
Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Registered Dietitians, Special Education Teachers, Psychologists, Physical Therapists, Early Intervention Specialists, Nurses, Physicians, and Mental Health Workers. Note: Training conferences are available for professionals only.
This course is an intermediate level course: Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter. Prerequisite – Attendees must have completed the first 10 webinars in the 2-day SOFFI® series (SOFFI® Modules 1-10).
- Discuss what the “just right challenge” is related to feeding the premature and/or medically complex infant
- List what the feeder should do when homeostasis is lost
- List at least 2 benefits of Kangaroo Mother Care on the mother, the parent-infant relationship
- List at least 2 benefits of Kangaroo Mother Care for the infant
- List at least one core idea of the room environment for an attuned feeding
- Describe the optimal feeding schedule for newborn term infants based upon newborn infant stomach volume studies
- Describe at least one benefit of using colostrum for oral care
- Describe at least one benefit of positive oral experiences
- Part 1 – Making a feeding plan, collecting data: 0:00 – 11:05
- Part 1 – Feeding plan case studies: 11:05 – 60:41
- Part 2 – SOFFITM Algorithms and how to use them: 60:41 – 75:05
- Part 3 – Flow rate considerations from bottles and bottle systems: 75:05 – 82:45
- Part 3 – Flow rate research summary: 82:45 – 93:38
- Part 3 – Examples of variations in bottles that affect flow rate: 93:38 – 124:25
- Part 4 – Positioning Considerations – Evidence: 124:25 – 133:15
- Part 4 – Positioning Considerations – Alignment and Case Practice: 133:15 – 145:29
- Part 5 – Pacing Considerations – Purpose: 145:29 – 153:09
- Part 5 – Pacing Considerations – Regulated Pacing vs Rested Pacing: 153:09 – 163:30
- Part 6 – Slowing the flow with thickeners – Differences infant/adult: 163:30 – 167:13
- Part 6 – Slowing the flow with thickeners: 167:13 – 183:45
- Part 7 – Breastfeeding supports – importance of human milk: 183:45 – 188:23
- Part 7 – Breastfeeding supports – pacing at breast: 188:23 – 195:21
- Part 7 – Breastfeeding supports – positioning at breast: 195:21 – 198:05
- Part 7 – Breastfeeding supports – alternatives to bottle feeding: 198:05 – 203:33
- Part 7 – Breastfeeding supports – pre- and post-test weighing, parental supports: 203:33 – 224:45
Total Run time: 224:45 minutes
** To ensure Learners successfully achieve the Learning Outcomes above and to satisfy the completion requirements and continuing education credits, all attendees are expected to view the online workshop in the entirety. Additionally, all attendees are required to complete an 8-question quiz and receive 100% to be considered passing. Please take the quiz immediately after completing the webinar to make sure you mastered the content. The quiz may be taken as many times as necessary. Attendees must also complete a course evaluation to receive their certificate of completion.
Toomey & Associates, Inc. and SOFFI®, complies with ADA provisions. If you require special accommodations or need assistance, please contact Gina Gass at least two weeks in advance of the conference at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course content is focused on the SOFFI® Method and there will be limited or no information provided about similar products or services.