Summary of course
This webinar provides a thorough review of how the oral-motor system develops, as it relates to infant feeding. Anatomical differences between infants and adults are described, and the development of sucking and swallowing is explored. Examples of motor-based and infant-led approaches are offered, with a review of outcome data. The benefits of breast feeding are highlighted.
Presented by: Dr. Erin Ross: Internationally recognized Infant Feeding Specialist, Speech Pathologist, and creator of SOFFI®, Supporting Oral Feeding in Fragile Infants in the NICU and presenter for Toomey & Associates, Inc.
Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Registered Dietitians, Special Education Teachers, Psychologists, Physical Therapists, Early Intervention Specialists, Nurses, Physicians, and Mental Health Workers. Note: Training conferences are available for professionals only.
This course is an intermediate level course: Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter. Prerequisite – None
- List the two kinds of sensory receptors in/around the larynx
- List at least one anatomical difference between infants and adults
- Identify and list which is the first to develop in the infant, suction or compression
- List the gestational age at which the lower esophageal sphincter is fully enervated
- Discuss at least one outcome targeted by oral stimulation programs
- Discuss what effect, if any, oral stimulation may have on weight gain
- Discuss the effect of Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD) on age of acquisition of full oral feedings
- List at least one infant-led feeding approach
- List at least two benefits of breast feeding compared to bottle feeding
- Part 1 – Anatomical differences in Infants; compression and suction: 0:00 – 10:40
- Part 2 – Developmental changes in nutritive sucking for oral, pharyngeal and esophageal phases: 10:41 – 38:14
- Part 3 – Motor-based interventions, outcome data for motor-based interventions: 38:14 – 50:14
- Part 4 – Infant-led interventions, outcome data for infant-led interventions: 50:15 – 63:55
- Part 5 – Breast feeding: Benefits, myths: 63:55 – 73:35
Total Run time: 73:35 minutes
** To ensure Learners successfully achieve the Learning Outcomes above and to satisfy the completion requirements and continuing education credits, all attendees are expected to view the online workshop in the entirety. Additionally, all attendees are required to complete an 8-question quiz and receive 100% to be considered passing. Please take the quiz immediately after completing the webinar to make sure you mastered the content. The quiz may be taken as many times as necessary. Attendees must also complete a course evaluation to receive their certificate of completion.
Toomey & Associates, Inc. and SOFFI®, complies with ADA provisions. If you require special accommodations or need assistance, please contact Gina Gass at least two weeks in advance of the conference at [email protected]
The course content is focused on the SOFFI® Method and there will be limited or no information provided about similar products or services.